Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Never underestimate the power of prayer...or connections

At the beginning of July, a month after graduating college, I was called down to Danvers, MA for an interview for a 5th grade position. It was scheduled for the same day I was supposed to lead a biking trip in the Carabassett Valley in Maine, but both the director of camp and the trip coordinator said I couldn't turn down an interview. They would find someone else to lead the biking trip. So, I made the 3 hour trek from Maine to Massachusetts on a Monday. Not knowing what to expect, I just prayed that my 4 years of teacher preparation at Gordon would pay off. Some campers even started praying for my interviews to go well, which was powerful.

I arrived and was brought to a room where I was greeted by not one but by 5 women interviewers: 2 fifth grade teachers, the principal, the librarian who happened to be one of my adjunct professors at Gordon for Children's Lit, and a fifth grade parent. "Great!" I thought, "There is no way that these five women are going to think I'm even old enough to teach (especially the fifth grade parent)."The interview lasted 15 minutes and went well, but as a recent grad I didn't expect to get a call back. I was wrong! Less than an hour after leaving, I got a call back to come for a second interview two days later.

Through the grace and flexibility of the leadership team at camp, they gave me permission to miss yet another day of camp to interview. After another 3 hour trek: the second interview (with the principal, superintendent, and assistant superintendent) lasted less than 10 minutes leaving me wondering whether that was a good or bad thing. I prayed yet again because this school seemed like a great fit and fifth grade excited me! As I was stopping for an ice cream cone on my drive home, I got a call from the principal offering me the position! She was as excited as I was, which was really cool to see. My hard work at Gordon had paid off (and Gordon's reputation/rigor proved helpful). I am thankful to all my professors, family, and friends for their support and encouragement in helping me follow my dream of becoming a teacher.

I am excited to start this new chapter in my life. This blog is a way for me to process and share everything I learn during my first year of teaching/real life: personal, professional, and emotional. I expect this year to be a year of great challenge but of great reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment