Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Feeling old-remembering 9/11

Today we remember the 12th anniversary of 9/11. I remember the day clearly. It was a Tuesday about a week into the school year. I was in 5th grade, and shortly into the day teachers kept running in and out of the classroom making phone calls and were highly stressed. No one would tell us what was happening. All we knew was that something bad had happened. Confusion loomed throughout the day. We were told to walk directly home.  They might have even required that we get picked up by/walk with an adult. I walked home with my friend Caitlin and her mom.  When I got home, my mom was glued in front of the tv and images of the planes and World Trade Center filled EVERY channel, even Nickelodeon. We attended a church service where darkness, shock, and sadness filled the sanctuary. For days, the images of the World Trade Center falling were on constant repeat. Stories of bravery, courage, and divine intervention were common.

Today, on the 12th anniversary, we had an extra moment of silence in school to meditate. During this time I came to the realization that I was in my 5th graders shoes 12 years ago, and that none of them were alive yet to experience that day which changed history and will forever be in my memories.

I pray a special prayer today for all those whose lives were changed 12 years ago, and all those who are still mourning. I pray for the protection of this country in a time where the tensions of the world still fill our news channels. Remembering days like 9/11 reminds me that we live in a fallen world and that one day Jesus will return and restore Creation as it was meant to be: Beautiful and Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment