Monday, September 23, 2013

Pulleys and Levers

I am in charge of teaching a unit about Pulleys and Levers. My experience with science is minimal. I really started to learn science in high school: physics, chemistry, biology, and environmental science. Then in college I took one general science class. Now I am responsible for teaching about pulleys and levers. We have these kits that have all that we need in them, but I still had to sort through all the extra copies and materials to get to what I actually needed. Luckily, I had the help of another 5th grade teacher, who spent about an hour after school helping me sort through all the material and coming up with an example.  She is not even teaching that unit.  She did not have to spend that time with me, but she did. I was so thankful. All of the people I have encountered in Danvers have been very helpful. I've shared before that the other teachers have been scouting books for me and getting me extra resources to help me start building my own collection of resources.  What a great community in which to start my teaching career.

In addition, after school I was told that I am getting a new student on Wednesday! I don't know if I am excited or stressed about this change. We'll see how this new boy changes the dynamic of the class. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment