Monday, October 21, 2013

Bells, Timers, Books, and Geography

I had to cave and buy a bell for my room to get the students' attention. They still really like to talk, so I thought an instrument sound would be better than me raising my voice. Today was day 1 of using it. Some kids thought it was hilarious that our class is so loud that I needed to buy a bell and others were like "oh man! we are really too loud. she had to buy a BELL to get our attention." Some students find it irritating and some want to test my musical abilities to play Jingle Bells on the bell (I got the "jingle bells, jingle bells" part down). We'll see if they respond to it tomorrow.

I also have gotten a timer. I now time the students when they are in transition or they start getting rowdy. I time them for each subject to see how quickly they can quiet down. This actually has worked some. They like the competition of "beating the clock." My students see me look at the clock and say, "Guys, she's timing us!" We're on day 2 of that strategy.

The noise meter has not been super successful. If you don't know what I'm talking about see entry entitled "Friendly Competition." Most days we stay on the 3rd level (chatty), so no one gets stickers. Keeping the noise level down so we can actually get work done remains to be the hardest thing about being a first year teacher.

However, I really like the girls in my class. They are wonderful! They draw me pictures and say "hi" to me when they see me outside of class (like when I pick them up after lunch). They also listen (for the most part).

Now for the books. I LOVE 5th grade books. I have started reading some of the books my students are reading: Hoot, Chasing Vermeer, The Penderwicks, Out of my Mind, and now The Lightning Thief. Each week my students write journal entries to me about the books they're reading. I love seeing what books they choose. I do have a problem getting them ALL to write to me though. In addition to their free choice book, we have started a class book, From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. This was a book I enjoyed when I was about that age. However, even though it is at a 4.7 reading level (so students in the 7th month of 4th grade should be able to read it), I was informed that it probably is too hard for some of my students. Part of my students' responsibility is choosing "just right" books, which apparently I need to work on too (choosing just right books for them). Figuring out how to differentiate lessons and tasks is another thing I am figuring out and have a long ways to go.

One more thing: I showed this video today and my kids asked me if the guy was on drugs/drinking and driving...

Thank you for reading. I'll try to get pictures or something up soon. Pray for continued patience and perseverance for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment