Thursday, October 3, 2013

Trends

Trends seem to hit hard. A few years ago it was the silly bands. When I was little it was Tomogachis. These days, there are three trends: rainbow loom bracelets, which are rubber band bracelets that you can make using a pick and "loom." They increasingly become a distraction to the kids as they make more and more of them. They have all sorts of patterns. Here is an article on them if you are interested: http://www.fastcompany.com/3016092/how-to-be-a-success-at-everything/how-a-diy-dad-took-the-toy-world-by-storm-with-rainbow-loo

The second trend is singing, "What does the fox say?" song. Here is a youtube link to that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE Throughout the day I hear students going "ring ding ding da da ding ding ding..."

The third trend is reading "graphic novels" that are novels written like comics. I really don't like these because I feel like they are confusing and not "good writing." However, my kids like them and can follow the plot more easily than I can. I just want them to read more and love reading!  (*Some other popular series are the Percy Jackson series and the Warriors series)

My students are amazed when I know what these things are. I think this is hilarious because they think I don't know anything about their culture (even though I'm only 12 years older) because I'm a teacher.

2 comments:

  1. 1) LOVE what does the fox say. lol
    2) omg I have never heard of those bracelets! I'm getting old!
    3) I wouldn't call graphic novels a new trend. They're been around for quite some time and while there are certainly some poorly done ones just like there are poorly written books, I wouldn't knock them as an entire group as poor writing. Some have won pulitzer prizes and many deal with some very real issues in a different but just as valid form of art. Maus, for example, won the Pulitzer prize and is based off of the artist's father's experiences as a holocaust survivor. The images add a whole different dimension to the story. Just thought I'd put in my plug for the graphic novel.
    4) But Bot, you can't possibly know anything about kids culture. You don't exist outside of school. You live there don't you? haha
    5) I love you and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaylin- I love reading your comments! It makes me miss you a lot! Also, I love your pitch for the graphic novel. Very convincing!

    ReplyDelete