Thursday, November 14, 2013

Life is Good

We had a 3 day weekend last week. It was much needed after my stressful last week, leading up to my observation. I went to Northern Virginia to spend time with one of my favorite people. We spent time going to the falls that Falls Church is named after. It was really beautiful and we got to see extreme whitewater kayaking through rapids. We also got to partake in a great game of catch with the frisbee and had a nice little picnic under a tree. :-)

Coming back after a long weekend is always a little stressful because so quickly students get out of their routine, but the week was pretty good! I finally feel like things are starting to flow naturally and I have control of the class (although they still have their days when they are so chatty). The substitute today (I had a meeting) said my class was great! Best compliment ever! Hopefully my sub tomorrow (taking a personal day) will say the same.
\
In other news, two of the students in my class have crushes on each other, so that is a total mess. They are my two brightest students and when the hormones kick in, they act silly, unfocused, and slightly annoying. They stop being able to do simple math and forget how to sit properly in school. Ugh. I do not miss being at the awkward 5-10 grade stage. Later in the year, they will watch "the movie." All I can say is that I am glad I am in my twenties and living a good, fulfilling life.

My youth group is going to an all night event tomorrow in Maine and I am chaperoning! I am very excited to be able to connect with the youth at a new level.

Finally, I wanted to put a plug in for Compassion International. Yesterday, I made the decision to "adopt" (aka become a sponsor for) a second child. Franchesca, my first child of 2 years, is 11 and from Nicaragua, and my second child is Sarai. She is 7 and from Mexico.  I think that it is important to tithe regularly, and I can't think of a better way to give back some of God's financial gift to me than by supporting young girls living in poverty and building relationships with them.  We lose track of how fortunate we are in the U.S. where in so many other places, children go to sleep hungry.  Supporting Compassion is also a way for me to put to use my Spanish. I write these two girls letters in both English and Spanish, and love receiving letters in their native language because I can understand them!

Please be praying for Franchesca and Sarai (and maybe even support your own Compassion child).

Have a wonderful weekend!

P.S. The word "wicked" is becoming part of my vocabulary slowly, such as "wicked stressful"



No comments:

Post a Comment