Friday, November 8, 2013

My observation

I had my first formal observation yesterday. It was an ELA (Reading) lesson on using the text to answer comprehension questions. It went well. My class was dead silent! It was incredible (I could basically hear myself echo)

The lesson itself went well, but as always, there is room for improvement. I was told to do more with my objectives (as in tell the students what they are at the beginning and review them at the end) and to DEFINITELY have a closing/summation of my lesson. I apparently circulate well and did a good job modeling how to answer the questions (but should have included a visual aid).

I realized that all of the things Gordon made us do on our lesson plans, that I sometimes did not fully do (or made something up for) are actually valuable concepts that principals are looking for, like having a closing, using the Universal Design for Learning, and making accommodations/modifications for different types of learners. *If any current Gordon students read this, make sure you take the time to figure out ways to accommodate and support the universal needs of your students.

Thank you for your prayers and hopefully all can go up from here. Conferences start next week, so onward I go in my teaching career and crazy life :)

P.S. I also got my staff ID card (which hopefully I left at school…) so now I'm official!




No comments:

Post a Comment